Tuesday, July 08, 2008

What's Fresh with Linda Gerber's Death By Bikini

Aphra Behn Connolly has the type of life most teenage girls envy. She lives on a remote tropical island and spends most of her time eavesdropping on the rich and famous. The problem is that her family's resort allows few opportunities for her to make friends - much less to meet cute boys. So when a smoldering Seth Mulo arrives with his parents, she's immediately drawn to him. Sure, he's a little bit guarded, and sure his parents are rather cold, and okay he won't say a word about his past, but their chemistry is undeniable. Then a famous rock star's girlfriend turns up dead on the beach - strangled by her own bikini top - and alarm bells sound. Is it too great a coincidence that Seth's family turned up just one day before a murder? As the plot thickens, Aphra finds that danger lurks behind even the most unexpected of faces . . . .

Hello Linda, thanks for chatting with us! Could you please tell us a little about your writing background and how you made your first sale?

Linda: For as long as I can remember, I've loved to write, but it wasn't until I found encouragement from an online forum that I really got serious about it. As for the first sale, I had written two complete novels (neither published) and was messing around with a third when an author friend of mine from the forum alerted me to a call for submissions for the Students Across the Seven Seas series. The timing couldn't have been better. I was living in Tokyo at the time and I quickly submitted a proposal for a book set in Japan. Within just a few weeks, it sold. The result was SASS: NOW AND ZEN, Puffin 2006.

Readers and writers often like to get a behind the scenes peek of an author's writing routine. It would be great if you could please share your typical writing day schedule.

Linda: I'm a mom, so my schedule has to be flexible. During the school year, I start early and work until it's time to pack lunches and get kids on buses. After walking the dog and other mom chores, I shut myself in the office and write until about 3:30 when the kids are home again.

This routine changes during the summer (I write wherever and whenever I can between pool runs and sports camps!) and when I'm facing a deadline (the office door stays closed and the kids have learned to order takeout!)

LOL! I know Mountain Mike's number by heart! Please tell us about your latest novel, Death by Bikini, and what we can expect from your characters.

Linda: In May, the first of my new YA mystery/romantic suspense series, DEATH BY BIKINI, hit the shelves, also with Puffin. Aphra Connolly's life at her dad's exclusive island resort takes an unexpected turn when a cute guy and his family check in – just before another guest is found dead on the beach. Aphra's determination to find the killer may just make her the next target…

I love mysteries! What's up next? Do you have another project in the works? If so, please tell us about it.

Linda: The second in the series, DEATH BY LATTE will be released in September, followed by DEATH BY DENIM in February. Meanwhile, I'm working on a stand-alone 2009 release about reluctant psychic sisters (CHARLATANS), and contributing to an anthology about Scott Westerfield's UGLIES series, as well as plotting more DEATH BY books.

Great, Linda! Thanks again for sharing with us. I wish you the best with all your projects. Would you like to close with a writing tip?

Linda: Read, read, read! Write every day. Don't let anything (or anyone) stop you!

Linda recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan, where she served as the Regional Advisor for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Her books include SASS: NOW AND ZEN, SASS: THE FINNISH LINE, DEATH BY BIKINI and the upcoming books DEATH BY LATTE, DEATH BY DENIM and CHARLATANS. She currently lives and writes in Dublin, OH, blissfully ignoring her husband, four kids, and one very naughty puppy. Visit her website, www.LindaGerber.com

6 fresh comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Linda, thanks for spending time with us. Your book sounds terrific and is top of my shopping list!

Melissa Walker said...

Great interview! Death By Bikini is up next in my mile-high pile!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm with Tina and Melissa, Linda! The series sounds fab!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun to me. I know it's rarely on the shelf here...

Gerb said...

Thanks, Tina, for having me.

Melissa, as one of your fangirls, I'm honored.

Thank you, Kelly!

Jennifer, yay. You made my day.

Jessica Burkhart said...

Great interview! Yay, Linda! :)