Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Today, in the Hot Seat...

Last week we asked for volunteers to let me turn the tables and ask some questions. We start today with our HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, Anum.

Tina: Hi, Anum! Can you please tell us a little about yourself?

Anum:
Me? I don't think there's anything special! Haha! I'm just your average nerdy girl, who doesn't wear glasses. =) I love to read (duh!), and I'm actually hoping to become a graphic designer when I grow up. Another joy of mine is playing Rockband. I so rock at playing guitar!


Tina: Me, too! (Okay, I just rock at the singing part.) Back to you...

Anum: I'm a family person, I'd choose to spend a day at my cousins’ rather than going to the mall to see friends, and I see them a lot anyways! Hmm, I have a unnatural obsession for Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian) and Johnny Depp!

Tina: Great taste, there! =) How about you name a few super-popular books that you see people reading on your campus?

Anum: Well, obviously there'd be Twilight! But lately I've been seeing a lot of vampire books such as Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast. They're not “super-popular” yet, but they will be! I've also been seeing a lot of Meg Cabot books, especially books like The Princess Diaries, and the Mediator series.

Tina: Tell us, based on your experiences, what are some ways that teen authors are getting it right?

Anum: Hmm, they're probably getting it all right with their views on abuses, relationships, and the whole way to make people hooked on their books. OMG, they also SO get it right with drama! Sure, they go over the top a bit, but still. It so describes our current teenage lives, haha!

Tina: Thanks! Now, tell us a YA book you'd love to see turned into a TV program or movie?

Anum: Gosh, there are a lot! *ponders* OMG yeah, there's this book I just read that I instantly started thinking: Oh, who would THIS character be if this was a movie? Yeah...that book is called Pretty Little Devils by Nancy Holder. I love horror books, they're like my weakness. I thought it would kinda cool to have a whole serial killer thing going on, and I would definitely watch it!

Tina: Final question, you're about to take off on a 14 hour international flight. Sure, they'll be movies and meals, but plenty of time to read, too. You can bring one book--either one you've already read, have been wanting to read, or one that's in the works like Stephenie Meyers latest. What's it going to be and why?

Anum: Hmm, there are so many books! I must bring one, though. So I'd choose a funny book to keep me laughing. I'm always depressed on the airplane. Haha. I would choose How To Ruin A Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles. I can relate to her books a lot! And they make me actually LOL. I don't LOL that much from books. There are like a few that do that. (:



Tina: Wonderful. We love Simone, too! In fact, her book, Leaving Paradise, is up for the Best Young Adult Romance in the Romance Writer’s of America Rita Contest, along with Kelly’s Graffiti Girl! Thank you, Anum. And if anyone has any questions for Anum or us, please ask away!

13 fresh comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina & Anum,
I don't have any questions. I just wanted to say it was a great interview. Anum, thanks for giving us your thoughts.

Janie

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Anum, I had artistic talent at your age too! And graphic design is really fun!

Yes, I'm a fan of Ben Barnes and Johnny Depp. *grin*

Awesome interview, Anum and Tina! Thanks for sharing!

Anum, You probably spend some time on the 'net, so is there a favorite YA book hang out you like to visit often, if so which is it?

Moonlight Reader said...

We have a lot in common llo!(loves books,rock art..)
i just started a read & review blog any pointers?
Drop by anytime,
Moonlight-Reader

TinaFerraro said...

Hey there, Moonlight Reader, I just took a peak at your blog, and not only did your reviews catch me, but I loved the memorable lines! I bookmarked it to visit again.

paperxxflowers said...

This is such an interesting idea! I must have completely missed the post about this earlier...

Awesome :] I love seeing the tables turned.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina ---

That was a lot of fun to read - thanks Anum for sharing. Hope you enjoyed doing it as much as I enjoyed reading it --- and Yeah, you've got great taste in guys :)

bria

Erin said...

I love rock band, too.... :D

freewriter said...

Anum, thanks for sharing

Anum said...

Haha, your welcome! :)))))
Kelly - yeah graphic design is like REALLY fun. I could stay days on the computer, haha!
And my favorite YA hangout would be..either YA Fresh or The Book Muncher @ thebookmuncher.blogspot.com!

My taste in guys are great? Omg, my family would be like...ew. :D Thanks though!

I definitely had fun doing this.

Simone Elkeles said...

Anum, thanks so much for commenting on my book How to Ruin a Summer Vacation! I am so glad it made you laugh out loud (I also don't laugh out loud very often when I read) and watch for my new book coming out in December!

Anum said...

Haha, thanks Simone! :))))
I can't wait.

Little Willow said...

Nerds rule, Anum, don't you ever forget it.

Melissa Walker said...

Such a cool idea. Love Anum!