Thursday, November 01, 2007

Left Brain v. Right Brain

The Australian newspaper, the Herald Sun, is running a fascinating “left brain versus right brain” test on their website right now. Pop over there and check out the dancer, and see which way she is turning. Clock-wise? Counter-clockwise? Or...can you see her turn from one way to another?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html

As the website states, counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise, which I assume is the Australian term) means you are left-brained, which is your logical, detail-oriented type brain. Creative types (like YA writers!) often see her moving clockwise.

I’ve run this test on about ten people, and so far, everyone sees the dancer moving exclusively in one direction. Except for me. I see her changing, going one way for a while, then in the other. Which actually sums me up perfectly. I am ridiculously organized, with a sharp memory for details. But I’m also a major daydreamer whose book characters often seem more real than the people in my supermarket.

You can see from the 800+ comments it got that some people believe it to be a hoax. I can't vouch for its authenticity. But I can say that I sat for about 10 minutes with a math/science whiz and rarely saw the same movements in the dancer. I mean, to the point of arguing. That's all I know!

How about you? What do you see, and how does this explain you?

9 fresh comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

It's wierd. I see it going clock wise, than for a few seconds counter clock wise. Pretty neat, Tina! Thanks for sharing!

Erica Orloff said...

I don't get it. :-)

I ONLY see her going clockwise and can't figure out how anyone could see it otherwise???? Weird!

E

Erin said...

It went mostly counter clockwise and then it went clockwise for the rest of the time! So weird/cool...

Me said...

Okay, I only get clockwise, no matter how hard I try to convince myself it can go counter. But I asked my mom to look. She said, "It's clockwise." But when I told her that some people see it going counter, she's like, "Oh, now it's going counter clockwise!" Then she couldn't get it to go back.

Fun stuff, Tina!

TinaFerraro said...

I'm glad you guys like it, and yeah, it's really baffling...and perhaps telling, too!

Sara Hantz said...

I start clockwise and then if I concentrate on her feet I can get it to go the other way.

Megan said...

Clockwise!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Sara and Megan!

Authorness said...

Hey, that's amazing! I started off seeing her spin clockwise, then she went anticlockwise before going clockwise again. Feel a bit dizzy now.