Monday, November 05, 2007

Ever Dream About Being a Teenage Millionaire?

Okay, so if you frequent Myspace like I do--daily :)--you’ve probably heard of the totally fun myspace template website, Whateverlife.com.

Before I totally pimped out my site, I dressed my space with the cool temps from whateverlife. So you can imagine my shock when I saw this article with Ashley Qualls, who took an $8 site and turned it into a money making empire. Not by selling her template designs, but by giving away free templates and renting ad space on her site that gets, like, a million hits a day and businesses are sending her huge checks.

“Thanks to Ashley's work ethic and savvy cultivation of her peer group as a target market, Whateverlife began pulling in more teenage girls than a Justin Timberlake concert - about a million a day. With a big audience, the site attracted advertisers. Ashley's first check was for $2,700. The next was for $5,000, the third for $10,000.”
She bought her family a four-bedroom house at 17. Wow! If you read the article, you'll find out it’s not all fun and games, and a lot of time and hard work, but I think we can all agree that Ashley Qualls is one savvy teen.

Go, Ashley!

6 fresh comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Go, Ashley, is right!

And pardon this Blatant Self-Promotion, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the heroine of my next book, HOW TO HOOK A HOTTIE (out in two months), is desperately trying to become a millionaire before she's 20...

Sounds like I could have taken some tips from Ashley!

Anonymous said...

Her story is amazing. I watched the video on Yahoo News.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Yes, Tina! I thought of you when I read the article!
--
Kaleb, I watched it too, it's so awesome!

stephhale said...

I read that article and was absolutely amazed! I have to admit I was a little worried that Ashley was missing out on important high school experiences though, or maybe I was just jealous since I only made $3.35 an hour in hs. :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hey Steph, true! I'm glad it worked out for her!

Jessica Burkhart said...

I read about her and found it so inspiring! (And people think teens are lazy...) :)