Friday, April 06, 2007

Nail Art

I’m a traditionalist when it comes to my nails. Although I love getting manicures and pedicures, I generally stay with the classic French look because it matches everything--or--I go with shades to match the color scheme of a particular outfit.




But I’m always looking at other women’s nails, and I’m not shy in telling a stranger when hers look great. I’ve noticed that nail painting has become part of the total look--much like other accessories--often in every color in the rainbow, and adorned with stickers, decals, and even piercings.


Still, I don’t have the desire or the guts to go that far myself.

However, I will make the following statement right here and now: if Kelly or I “final” next year in the Romance Writers of America “Rita” Contest with GRAFFITI GIRL or TOP TEN USES FOR AN UNWORN PROM DRESS, I promise to go all nail-crazy. A pink flowery prom look to match my book. Or graffiti art (?!?) to go with the heart of Kelly’s heroine’s desire. And if we both final...uh...fingers one look, toes the other?

Let’s cross all our digits that I’m forced to live up to this promise!

6 fresh comments:

stephhale said...

I'm SO lazy when it comes to my nails. It's pretty much plain jane unless I'm going somewhere very good like Nationals! (only 3 months, girls!)
And of course you are both going to final next year and hopefully I'll be right there with you!
xo,
Steph

TinaFerraro said...

Yeah, Steph--you, me, Kelly (and all our eligible friends) will take up a whole row in the Rita finalist section. With killer nails--and don't forget the three inch heels I've promised to wear, too...

Anonymous said...

Tina,
I usually go with the French tip, although my manicurist convinced me to have the goth look a few months back. I couldn't stand to look at my fingers. But next year, I'll be wearing jewels and painted flowers and sparkles on all my nails in honor of your finaling.

Janie

TinaFerraro said...

The goth look! LOL. Not really you, Janie.

Thanks for your ongoing confidence in me, and we'll have to coordinate manicures for National for this year since we're roomies and all...

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm lazy too, when it comes to my nails. When I had time on my hands before writing, I would sometimes do a french manicure. And I always admire other snazzy manicures from a distance!

And I'll definitely be rooting for all my YA friends' books in the RITA!!

Lisa Asanuma said...

I'll admit I'm totally vain about my nails. I never even paint them, because they grow long and straight and strong and I love how they look au naturale (except for right now when I've just recently had to cut them all off *sigh*), but I would love to have a professional have a go at them, sometime, since I never have before.

Good luck on the being forced to step outside your comfort zone, though!

(I definitely paint my toes, though, btw. I can hardly stand to see them bare.)