Friday, April 20, 2007

Drive-By Signings

Last week I talked about my geeky book signing kit, and mentioned I was going on a signing road trip.

Well, one week and seven bookstores later, I am here to report the results. Fabulous! I met wonderful store managers and staff, all super-friendly and helpful.

In five cases, they had at least one copy of my book, and were happy for me to sign their stock and add bookmarks. Without me asking, each time, the books were then moved to end-caps, and in one store, they put some on the Recommended Shelf. See?


An employee at one store apologized that they only had one copy on hand, saying, “We just can’t keep your book in stock." (Yea!)

Several managers offered me booksignings if I would call ahead when I returned to the area.

At two stores, they did not have any copies, but both times the managers greeted me warmly, took a bookmark and said they’d consider ordering.

So...all good! And when I mentioned my drive-by signings to my editor, she seemed very pleased, telling me “every visit helps!” So I encourage all of you with books out (or coming out, especially, a-hem, next month) to consider making these store visits yourself. It’s a whole new level of geeky fun!

8 fresh comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm glad it went so well, Tina!!!

Hmm, next month? haha! I'm going to do my best to visit some book stores too! It's been great learning about your first experiences!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
Well, if that's geeky, count me in! I'm definitely going to take your advice.

Janie

stephhale said...

Tina,
I'm glad it went so well for you. I know I'll try to do this even though the very thought makes me want to break into hives!
xo,
Steph

Tali said...

Wow,thats really great...what easy publicity! Thats such a smart idea!! I just found your blog-its really awesome.


tali
-http://bookbopper.blogspot.com

Jessica Burkhart said...

Oooh, great idea, Tina! Glad you're back to the blog! :)

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Tali and I'm glad you found us. Visit often!

Good to "see" you, Jess!

GeminiWisdom said...

I really hadn't thought of that, seeing as how my first two books were self-pubbed. Granted, they can be ordered thru any of the major bookstores, they're just not on the shelves. Did you call ahead, Tina, or just show up? Did you plan which stores you'd visit?

TinaFerraro said...

G.W., a couple times I called ahead, but I find that a very low-key drop-in works well. What I do is go to the YA section, scoop up my books and bring them to the Info Counter and ask if I can sign. Inevitably, they are nice and display them prominently.

And if the stores are nearby, I keep going back! Right now I am "revisiting" 10 local stores, and no one's told me not to come back yet!