Friday, May 02, 2008

Friday Fresh: Who Seals the Deal For You?

There are certain actors that I will watch in just about anything...simply because I like them. For one reason or another, their personalities and looks appeal to me, and therefore, I will risk a plot or theme that I might otherwise turn away from.

I’d like to say that I generally like their choices of roles, directors and films, too, but let’s strip away all pretenses: everyone makes a turkey or two in his or her career, so renting a DVD or going to the theater to see a particular star is still a gamble.

Who seals the deal for YOU at Netflix, the video store or movie theater?

20 fresh comments:

C.R. Evers said...

The two that come to mind right away is Matt Damon and Hugh Grant. I love almost anything they star in.

On the flip side, I think Brad Pitt is one of the most amazing and talented actors, but I usually stay away from his movies because I've disliked almost every one of his movies that I've seen.

Christy

TinaFerraro said...

Christy, I originally had a picture of Matt Damon here, as well, but the posting got complicated and he got the axe. :) Looks like we have the same favorites.

And yeah, I agree that I haven't loved Brad Pitt's latest movies. But I'm planning to see the Jesse James one this weekend, and I'm hoping for the best.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I rarely miss Drew Barrymore, Sandra Bullock, Amanda Bynes, Brad Pitt, and Colin Farrell. And probably more! haha!

Anonymous said...

Tina,
I love this topic, and have some of the same favorites you do. For me, I really must add Colin Firth and Diane Lane to the list. They are so good! (Kelly, I love Drew Barrymore, too!)
-Jessica

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yes, thanks Kelly and Jessica...and Colin Firth is another favorite of mine. Often he's in movies with Hugh Grant, so it's the "two birds with one stone" thing...

stephhale said...

I love John Cusack! Some of my favs are probably Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn because they always make me laugh!

TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Steph,

John Cusack is one of my MySpace friends. He even posts bulletins. Check him out! :)

Erin said...

Johnny Depp. Emma Watson. That's it, pretty much - I guess I'm picky. :)

I mean, I love loads of actors, there's so many brilliant ones out there. But those are the two that I will want to see every movie of, *almost* all of the time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
I can't think of anyone offhand. I think my brain went on "sleep mode" for the day.
I'll check back in when it wakes up.

Janie

Anonymous said...

I like Amanda Bynes, too, Kelly. She's hysterical. She was in something before Hairspray and I missed it. Maybe you can help me out with that. As for the others, Jason Statham and Jet Li do it for me. I think Jason is HOT and I like both his and Jet's martial arts skills.

Anonymous said...

a few years back, it was khleo thomas, but now that im older 9well, all of 16), i couldnt really tell you. right now, im jonesin'on singer chris brown. so, i guess, if hes in another movie, ill go see it. lol

TinaFerraro said...

Erin, I am going to have to pay more attention to Emma Watson!

Janie, considering this is your birthday--HAPPY BIRTHDAY--you are allowed to give your brain the day off.

Celise, oh, yeah, Jason Stratham!!!

Draven, thanks for weighing in, too!

WannabeWriter said...

Orlando Bloom. Ellen Page. Matt Damon.

I'm not a big movie-goer, but I'd make time to see those three on the big screen. :]

Paige

Erica Orloff said...

Clive Owen.

Seals my deal every time. :-)

Anonymous said...

OH, you hit some of my favorites - I'm a long time fan of Gerard Butler and Rufus Sewell. I love that their both finally getting "hot" :)

Bria

TinaFerraro said...

Paige, great choices!

And Erika? Yeah...OMG...yeah... :)

Bria, I am going to have to check those two out. Which is a lot more fun than the other things I had planned for my day. LOL.

Thanks, all!

The Golfing Librarian said...

Since it appears that I am representing the opposite gender around here, I'll refrain naming actors. Afterall, I have a reputation to uphold!

This is a hard list to make, but after a little thought, I've narrowed it down to three.
3. Audrey Hepburn
2. Meg Ryan in the 80's
1. Reese Witherspoon-don't ask me why because I don't know. She "seals the deal" for me, as you ladies put it.
She could stand motionless, watching paint dry and I'd watch her. Of course, it is always in a wholesome, Christian, sisterly sort of way. ;-)

I'll also watch anything "Austen-esque".

Sara Hantz said...

Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant, Sandra Bullock, Kevin Costner, Tom Hanks!

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Woo, Hugh Grant totally seals my deal! :) He's the only one I can really think of off hand, though there must be others, hmm...

TinaFerraro said...

Chuck, I totally agree with your choices...and maybe the watching paint dry with Reese thing is part of her southern charm...

Sara & TLL, notice how Hugh Grant keeps showing up on people's lists! Which reminds me, what's next for him?