Friday, October 19, 2007

Twisted Metal

What do Prince Harry, Tom Cruise (and I) have in common?

We’re survivors of the orthodontist’s chair. Yep, we were metal mouths, had to endure the minty flavored molds and tightening of the wires at each visit (ouch!) as well as thoughtful comments from people like, “Don’t smile at me, you’ll blind me.”

All for tooth straightening and re-spacing, jaw realignment, and...I don’t know, better smiles?

Those of us who were really lucky (waving hand here) got the night gear, as well, that startlingly attractive metal brace you connected around the back of your head. I remember many a night, waking to my whole face throbbing, and chucking the thing across the room...only to dutifully put it on again the next night.

But hey, the braces paid off. I lost my enormous overbite by the age of fourteen, and never looked back. And I understand today’s orthodontia has gone “cool,” offering colored wires (like black and orange for Halloween) and neon rubber bands.

Plus, let us not forget the look of the current darling of Thursday night TV...


So...tell us, what’s your experience with braces? Had them or have them? Love them or hate them? Flap your gums and fill us in!

13 fresh comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

great post, Tina!! Yep, I've had them all: retainers, braces, overbite, crooked front teeth. eek! I'm glad it's all behind me. haha!

TinaFerraro said...

I didn't know that you had the full works, too, Kelly! I just assumed you were BORN with that beautiful smile...

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
I didn't have braces, but my sister did and I remember how painful it was for her. Me? By the time I was eleven I had joined the "geeky glasses wearing squad." And back then, glasses weren't considered stylish.

Janie
BTW...you have a lovely smile, so it all paid off.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Janie! :) And just so you know, I really, really wanted glasses--until I got them. But you're right, they're part of a person's "total stylish look" now.

stephhale said...

I sucked my thumb until I was twelve. I'm totally not kidding. I had the headwear, retainers, and braces for about a million years. Braces didn't really bother me except when I had to wear the rubberbands on them then my teeth would get kind of sore. I don't miss them in the least. ;)

Anonymous said...

Braces are worth it! My dentist always told me my teeth would be nice and straight if I became a movie star....I suppose the same goes for author photos nowadays :) . I'm very glad I got them and all those months of metal were certainly worth it now that I look back.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Steph and Kaleb...yeah, I guess the bottom line is they're worth it, even if they seem like a pain at the time.

Jessica Burkhart said...

I sure did have braces...twice. I really didn't mind them, but now I'm one of those people who has to wear a retainer every night, LOL. :)

Julie H said...

I had braces. Got them on in eighth grade, off in sophomore year. Had my permanent retainer, though, until I was about thirty! I went to the same children's orthodontist to get it off (is that called a pediadontist?) and felt like a goob.

Sara Hantz said...

I didn't havae braces because my teth were straight, though I think I could have done with one for my slight overbite!!!

TinaFerraro said...

Jessica and Julie, I was terrible about wearing my retainer, and went on to regret that, so good for you guys for keeping it up for so long.

Sara, I actually like the look of a slight overbite. But I'll tell you, mine was not slight. :)

Janette Rallison said...

I not only had them--I still have nightmares about them!

stumbleduponyourblog said...

I have braces right now and I get rubber bands tomorrow. Thankfully I won't be needing any headgear. I can't wait to get them off!