Wednesday, October 17, 2007

LOL at Your Library, Part 2

Following Kelly’s lead in talking about YA books that make us LOL, here is one of my all-time favorites, Gordon Korman’s Son of the Mob.

Recommended for ninth grade and up, Son of the Mob is a smart, funny read that sometimes pulls at the heartstrings. 17 year-old Vince Luca is the son of a mob boss, and while he has no intention of going into the family’s “vending machine business,” certain aspects of the family’s notoriety constantly plague him. And things get even stickier when he falls in love--with the daughter of the FBI man working to convict his father. The result is a page turner for adults and teens alike, and for the most reluctant of readers.

The LOL book that I am currently reading (and loving):

How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend, Janette Rallison.

Next up in my To Be Read Pile:

Al Capone Does My Shirts, Gennifer Choldenko.

Who can recommend some more?

6 fresh comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Ooh, thanks, Tina! Another one to add to my TBR list!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
The Al Capone book is great. I'd also recommend anything by Nancy Farmer, especially THE EAR, THE EYE AND THE ARM.

Janie

TinaFerraro said...

Yeah, Kel, you'll love them. And Janie, thanks for the heads-up on Nancy Farmer. I'll check out her books!

Julie H said...

Gordon Korman is great for LOL- I also love Born to Rock. How about the Louise Rennison books? Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging is my absolute FAVE! I have been reading aloud from it to my students, and they love it! And lots of people have told me that my book, Get Well Soon, is laugh out loud funny. Just had to plug that, too!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Julie, for the recommendation on Louise Rennison, Julie! And I'll have to check out your book, as well!

Janette Rallison said...

Thanks for the mention. Hope you like the book!