Monday, June 11, 2007

High School Book Club

There is one thing in high school I didn't have that I think would have been an awesome experience...

A high school book club.

I never thought Graffiti Girl would be considered for one, but a teacher was kind enough to consider GG as a book for a group of girls she wanted to encourage to read.

When the teacher contacted me, I was floored, speechless, and this wonderful feeling bloomed in my chest. Especially when she said how many of them hadn't finished a book before and that she felt Graffiti Girl would be the perfect book for her girls.

When I wrote GG, I had a selfish outlook. I intended to write a book, I would like to enjoy to read. A fast-paced read with action and memorable characters. Sometimes when you worry about writing for others, you could become blocked or the words don't flow as easily. :) :)

So when this teacher contacted me, she provided me with a whole new perspective that young girls could look up to my stories and the characters I shared with them. And knowing this, I feel so honored to be someone's first book.

Since then, we've emailed letters and I've answered questions about myself and GG, and the girls have told me what they enjoyed about the book. And most of all I hope these girls will pick up another book this summer and discover more of the wonderful authors out there.

Here are a few pictures of the girls who said it was okay to share.


Book Club.01

Book Club.03

Book Club.02

It would be wonderful to encourage the high school book club at your local high schools, with your teachers, with your peers, and the adults to encourage them with your children. Books are a new experience for some teens just waiting to happen. :)

5 fresh comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, Kelly, thank you SO much for sharing this! What a wonderful experience for you.

And a warm hello to all the girls who participated in the book club. As well as to one very smart teacher who knew GRAFFITI GIRL would be the kind of book that readers--voracious or not--would relate to.

This is a win-win all around!

Sara Hantz said...

Wow, Kelly. What a fabulous experience for you. And for the girls!!! Congratulations.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Tina, thanks! It is an awesome experience, and really wowed me. haha! The girls really made my summer!
---
Thanks, Sara!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

How totally cool! It's stories like this that remind me why I write. Last year, an "auntie" told me that her nieces had turned my first book into a play at their church. I rode that high for the rest of the day.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Celise! How exciting that had to have been! Good for you! :) :)