Friday, June 08, 2007

Great Summer Reads

Summer is almost here! No homework...lazy days around pools and on beaches...maybe open hours of vacation travel... So what comes to mind (well, at least MY mind)? Lotza reading!


I though it would be fun to get a YA FRESH Great Summer Reads list going! Please, jump in and recommend a YA-level book that you’ve really enjoyed. Either new or “old”, the only rule being that it would appeal to teens.

I’ll start:

A NORTHERN LIGHT (Harcourt, 2003) by Jennifer Donnelly is one of the best books I’ve ever read. From storyline to characterization to prose, it is beautiful and touching, and stays with you long after you’ve finished.

In a nutshell, it’s about a sixteen year-old girl who takes a job as a server girl at a fancy hotel in the Adirondacks in 1906. She is given a packet of letters by a woman who then disappears, and those letters help her to piece together what might have happened to the woman, as well as the tough career and personal decisions she’s facing.

You won’t regret reading this one!

Want to take a moment to recall one of your fave YA’s for us?

19 fresh comments:

Susan Adrian said...

Hi Tina:

I just found this blog yesterday! I'm working on a YA book myself, and love to read them.

I'd recommend Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund. Funny, original, and engaging, with plenty of twists. And bonus is the second one comes out later this month!

stephhale said...

This book is going on my list, Kelly. It sounds great. My fav YA is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, which I'm rereading for my bookclub this month!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Susan, welcome to YA Fresh!
---
Steph, you're so cute, this is Tina's post! :) :)
---

Tina, this is tough because I do reviews here and enjoyed all the ones I read. I'll have to say it's a tie with Steet Pharm and The Possibility of Fireflies for my faves, and I recommend both!

TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Susan, we're happy that you've joined us! And SSG is one of my favorites, too. I even posted a review of it on Amazon.

Twilight is another great one, Steph!

And Kel, I'm going to have to read the 2 you mentioned. I remember your reviews made them sound terrific, but I just hadn't gotten around to buying them yet...

Jay Montville said...

I've been a lurker for a little while, but I couldn't resis responding to this one.

I must recommend an oldie, but a goodie - The Grounding of Group Six, by Julian F. Thompson. I read this book years ago and loved it. Just a few weeks ago I bought a used copy on Amazon and read it all again in one sitting. It's funny, it's sexy, and it's got a great mastery of the roving limited third person.

Jay Montville

stephhale said...

Oops. I'm a dork. But you already knew that. ha!

TinaFerraro said...

Jay,

Thank you so much for this recommendation! There's nothing like an old favorite that stays fresh with the test of time!

I checked it out on Amazon, and in addition to looking VERY interesting, it's still selling quite well after like 25 years!

I'll be checking this out for sure!

Thanks!

TinaFerraro said...

Dork, Steph? Naaahhh...darling is a better fit.

Susan Adrian said...

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. This is a pretty cool place!

Sara Hantz said...

Anything by Caarolyn Mackler (and she's got a new one coming out very soon.. yay!). Marked, the new one by PC Cast and Kristin Cast.

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yes, Sara! I adored the one book of Carolyn Mackler's that I read, and great to hear there's a new one! And I've heard great things about PC and Kristen Cast's books, too! Thanks for weighing in!

Jessica Burkhart said...

I'm reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and it's moving, funny and engaging! Good read!

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yes, Jessica, SPEAK is a total keeper. I remember feeling breathless in the second half of the book, unable to put it down, and MAD when I had to! Thanks for that suggestion.

Erin said...

LOOSE THREADS by Lorie Ann Grover, one of my very favorite YA fiction books of the year.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Erin! That one is new to me, so I'll check it out!

zeezee said...

the golden compass - great book, and the movie is coming out this summer i think!

TinaFerraro said...

Yes--another great one! Thanks, Lady of the Beasts!

Megan said...

I've got to suggest Prom Anonymous by Blake Nelson. It was such a quick read. I didn't think I'd get so engrossed into a prom! It's girly and romantic, but it's also about friends, and you get to peak into the lives of three very different characters.

I believe it was reviewed on here, but I loved Dramarama by E. Lockhart. It was sheer genius, hilarious and heartfelt!

TinaFerraro said...

Great suggestions, Megan, and that prom theme IS a favorite of mine. =)