Monday, March 15, 2010

Playing the Silent Piano!

It's always a little unnerving to revisit a favorite place, book or film from your younger days because so often, our "more mature" eyes see them differently. Classrooms look smaller, amusement park rides seem slower, and often--well, at least for me--books and movies don't have the same sparkle.

But during a recent reviewing of an old classic (and old favorite of mine), The Trouble With Angels, my fears were almost immediately put to rest.


I saw that while yes, it had the occasional "groovy" earmark of its era and its share of predictable moments, more importantly, it was still very funny and endearing. Not to mention remarkably fast-paced for those days, when films generally went at a much slower clip. Finally, as an adult, I was able to better relate to the struggles of both the teachers and students, to see many more "gray areas" and root for their individual journeys as never before.


And funny...I had forgotten about "the silent piano," which Rachel (June Harding) tells Mary (Hayley Mills) that she studied in her previous school. Does anyone else remember what the silent piano was?

And let us know if you are a fan of The Trouble With Angels, too, or any films from your younger days that you've recently watched and enjoyed again.

10 fresh comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen The Trouble With Angels. By the picture you posted, it looks about the same era as the original Herbie The Love Bug movie, which still cuts it as fun family entertainment. :) One that's not so old is Back To The Future. I first saw that when it came out in theatres -- must've been mid 80s -- and everytime I see it, Marty and Doc still crack me up.

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yes, Shari, this movie is in the same era as Herbie! I'll have to rewatch that one, too.

And I still love Back to the Future, as well! That's another timeless classic.

Lisa Mantchev said...

I ~love~ this movie... I just caught it again the other day (with scenes I'd missed the original TV broadcast!) and about died laughing at poor Rachel's attempts to sew and Mary's scathingly brilliant ideas!

Janie Emaus said...

You've made me want to see this movie. One of my favorite old movies is the Wizard of Oz. That just gets better each time I see it.

TinaFerraro said...

Lisa, yes--Mary and her scathingly brilliant ideas!!!

Janie, I own the DVD now (the kids gave it to me for Christmas) so I'll loan it to you!

Anna R said...

I must have missed that movie, maybe it was an R, hehe, it was released 24 years before I was released.

TinaFerraro said...

You got me there, Anna! LOL. But sometimes they run it on TV, so if you ever hear of it, give it a look!

Leigh Purtill said...

I haven't seen that but you make it sound good! One movie I saw recently that still holds up after all these years is "Vacation." Not "Christmas Vacation" which is an absolute classic but the very first one where the Griswolds go to Wally World. Hilarious!!

And I too love (and own) Back To the Future - once I see one, I have to watch all 3...:)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Haven't seen this one, but I love classics!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.