There's a cool challenge going on @ Read Into This!
With the cover controversy that's been happening with Justine Larbalestier's Liar, multicultural books have taken the spotlight. It's sad that this issue has to come about for multicultural books to receive extra notice. A couple of weeks ago there was an excellent post on books of color on Chasing Ray, and the lack of MC books published.
So it's time to shine some more positive light! Here's RIT's challenge:
This is a 30-day challenge that ends on August 30th. [...] I've compiled a list of some multicultural books that I have either read, plan to read, or were recommended to me. If you have any other suggestions, make a comment and I will take a look and add it to the list. :)
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
- Bang! by Sharon Flake
- Broken China by Lori Aurelia Williams
- Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
- Down to the Bone by Mayra Lazara Dole
- First Daughter: An Extreme American Makeover by Mitali Perkins
- First Part Last by Angela Johnson
- Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
- Graffiti Girl by Kelly Parra
- Hush by Jacqueline Woodson
- If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer Choldenko
- The Kayla Chronicles by Sherri Winston
- My Life as a Rhombus by Varian Johnson
- Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
- Played by Dana Davidson
- Romiette and Julio by Sharon M. Draper
- Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins
- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
- Shine, Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger
- Sold by Patricia McCormick
- What I Meant... by Marie Lamba
Here is another great compiled list of suggested MC books that readers may want to check out.
Now for YA Fresh's spin on the challenge... I'm going to participate too, but I can't read all of these books in one month. What I can do is post quick spotlights all through August on MC books. On some days there will be double posts because we'll have other YAF posts to share. Sounds like a big challenge even for me! haha. :) But I know it will be fun!