Thursday, July 23, 2009

Prom Hair!

For years, I’ve used the term “Prom Hair” to denote the kind of elegant up-do that girls don for school dances, and later for weddings and banquets and award ceremonies. But until last week, I’ve never actually had “Prom Hair.”

Here’s a picture of Rosemary Clement-Moore and me from last weekend’s RITA/Golden Heart Award Ceremony in Washington, D.C., with our “Prom Hair.”


No way I could have sprayed and clipped that “do” by myself, and my local hairdresser knew it, and urged me to call the hotel salon ahead of time and make an appointment. Great idea!

In fact, it turned out a RITA finalist in another category had the same idea, and we had great fun with a-hundred-miles-an-hour excited blabbing while getting all fancy schmancy.

I walked out of the salon feeling sophisticated and confident, and ready for a night of fun and awards and celebration.

And it made me realize, that as small as something as a hair style is, in the scheme of things, it really made a difference. I’m going to give my hairstylist a big hug next time I see her--just as I did Rosemary when her book, Hell Week, won for Best Young Adult Romance, and later, when our category’s third nominee, Tera Lynn Childs, won Best First Book for Oh.My.Gods!

So tell us, have you ever had “Prom Hair?” And did it give you that extra zing too?

16 fresh comments:

Leigh Purtill said...

EEE! I love your big up-do but we need pics from the back too so we can get the full effect.

I never did get special prom hair for a prom but I did get it done for a performance of Grease and you're right: it was nothing I could ever have done on my own. The blowout alone took half an hour!

jberk said...

Hey Tina! Congrats on the award nomination & on the fancy hair. I had really fantastic hair at my actual prom:

http://joshberk.googlepages.com/fro.jpg

jberk said...

Oh wait, here's a link that actually works: JOSH'S PROM FRO

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No, I can honestly say I've never had prom hair for any occasion. I look terrible with my hair pulled away from my face, so I just don't.

Never had mall hair either... although I will confess to a mullet.

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Iris Black said...

I've never had hairstylist prom hair, but my mom managed a really great twist for a formal awards ceremony during which I had to give a speech...

But yours looks amazing! I'm glad you had a great time!

Iris
http://irisblack-author.blogspot.com

TinaFerraro said...

Leigh, I wish someone had taken a picture of the back of the do! (Actually, maybe somebody did and didn't tell me...I mean, regardless of what I tell my kids, I really DON'T have eyes in the back of my head! Haha. If one ever surfaces, I'll post it.) anyway, it was all swirled and pinned up. Tre chic, if I say so myself!

And so cool you were in a performance of GREASE! I can just imagine the do!

TinaFerraro said...

Josh, I not only enjoyed your prom fro but visited your page to see the full picture with your future wife, Kelly. Who, I must say, had to-die-for prom hair curls...

I hope that picture is appearing somewhere on your book jacket...

TinaFerraro said...

L. Diane, I comisserate about not pulling the hair from your face! The first thing I said to the hairdresser that night was "Don't just pull it off my face because my head will look like a pinto bean." Luckily, she laughed.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Iris! And a "really good twist" sounds wonderful, too. Might have try that now that I'm venturing out into the world of do's!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

You Ladies look fabulous!!

I have to admit, I can't recall having prom hair because my hair is so heavy and thick and it would give me a headache (haha!), but the style is very lovely!!

The Golfing Librarian said...

I can honestly say that I've never had "Prom Hair". OPI Polished toenails however...

Lenore Appelhans said...

I didn't have prom hair for my prom (that was a ponytail) but I did have it for my wedding. And at other people's weddings when I was a bridesmaid.

TinaFerraro said...

Kelly, too funny about the weight of your hair, but one of these days we'll have to get you to try it!

Chuck, yeah, we've HEARD about your toenails. LOL.

Lenore, I was just thinking the other day that I'm the opposite of that old saying, "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride" because I was never a bridesmaid. But I'd imagined if I HAD BEEN, it wouldn't have taken me THIS long to Do the Do!

Thanks for weighing in!

TinaFerraro said...

Hot mama...lol! Rosemary, there's a reason you win major awards for writing fiction! ;)

Actually, thank you...that was very sweet. And your hair looked fab-u, as my characters said in ABC's...

WordVore Prod said...

Wow! The up-do looks so pretty! I wish we had prom:(

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, WordVore!