Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday Fresh!

We are continuing our occasional Friday series of random questions of things we really want to know about you. Here’s today’s question: Which “vintage” TV show would you like to see brought back (and why)?

My answer is going to reach back 13 years, so apologies to those of you who weren’t watching much TV then. But there was a show called “Christy” which starred Kellie Martin that I found warm and fuzzy (in a good way).


I first tuned into it because it was based one of my favorite novels from my teen years (Christy by Catherine Marshall) but soon found that the individual episodes had lives of their own, driven home by some strong acting performances.

The action centered around 19 year-old Christy who had come to this Appalachian town (that took two hours of walking in the woods to reach) in the early 20th century to teach school, and how she ends up learning as much from the “simple folks” as the kids do from her.

Although the show only lasted one season, certain episodes were sold as tie-in novels with Kellie Martin’s picture on the front. I admit that I bought and read every one of them.


You can also buy the whole series on DVD now.

So, yeah, if I could bring back and old show with new episodes, it would be the family, feel-good “Christy”.

Who else wants to play?

12 fresh comments:

zeezee said...

i would bring back "my so-called life," because they cancelled it in the middle of a season. it was my FAVOURITE show in high school and my mom watched it too. in my opinion, it was a way more accurate portrayal of teen life than "dawson's creek" ever was!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

It would sooo be "Dark Angel". Kick butt, futuristic, some romance, and suspenseful--my kind of story! :) :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Oh meversusthree, totally loved My So Called Life too!! I've been a fan of Claire Danes ever since!

Anonymous said...

For me, it would be the double whammy combo of "the Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island"! Maybe I would add a retooling of a show that starred the dad on '7th Heaven'. It was called "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and was kind of an Indiana Jones knock-off when that movie was first released.
Does anyone remember that show?

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, I'd like to see them both come back, too, since I never go the chance to see either one! Thanks for weighing in...

TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Nate, I don't remember "Tales", but it sounds like it was a lot of fun! And "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" were classics! Great choices.

Erica Orloff said...

Hmmm . . . I loved Anne of Green Gables on PBS. One of my all-time faves.

Little House on the Prarie was a fave when I was young. ALWAYS watched the Love Boat. Fantasy Island. DYNASTY! High-camp.

E

Erica Orloff said...

Hmmm . . . I loved Anne of Green Gables on PBS. One of my all-time faves.

Little House on the Prarie was a fave when I was young. ALWAYS watched the Love Boat. Fantasy Island. DYNASTY! High-camp.

E

Megan said...

I'm too young to have any vintage shows I want to bring back. I just wanted to say that when I glanced at this picture, I, for some reason, thought it was Hilary Clinton. Once I actually looked at it, I saw it wasn't and felt darn silly.

Jessica Burkhart said...

These are a little silly, but I loved Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. I watched the latter with my grandma every week! :)

TinaFerraro said...

Erica, I'm a latecomer to reading Anne of Green Gables, but it would be fun to watch, too. I wonder if I can get the episodes on Netflix? Oh, yes, and Dynasty was a hoot!

Megan, you gave me a big laugh just now. But I promise if we ever do post a picture of Hillary Clinton, it won't be of her in a vintage dress on a swing, okay? :)

Jessica, those two were great shows, too...and wasn't there a super-cute guy on Dr. Quinn?

Erica Orloff said...

OMG, yes, the supercute guy on Dr. Quinn! :-)

Forgot about him.