Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Bye-Bye Mr. Wrong Diet

As many of you know, the backstory to Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress is that 16 year-old Nicolette got “dumped” shortly before the prom and is therefore unable to wear her perfectly magical prom dress. The book starts that fall when her mother jokingly proposes the idea for the Top Ten list.

In my single years, my friends and I went through our own romantic disappointments, and while talking and laughing together about them was indeed therapeutic, at one point, I developed the harder-edged "Bye-Bye Mr. Wrong Diet" to put us back on the right path.

Here it is for all who need it (or are simply curious):

--Replace junk food with all healthy choices.


--Step up your exercise plan.


That’s it! And here’s why it works:

--It gives you something to think about. (Besides him.)

--It feels empowering because your health is something you can totally control. (As opposed to him.)

--After a few days, your clothes fit a bit better, your complexion is a little clearer. (Blowing raspberries at him.)

--Finally, the toning up and the loss of a few pounds makes you feel better and therefore, come off confident and attractive. (TOO confident and attractive for him.)

And now you’re walking with a new bounce in your step and setting your sights on someone else. Who needed him, anyway?

As simple as it sounds, it's a good game that can work.

Has anyone else tried a form of this, or have other ideas on how to “move on” from Mr. Wrong?

6 fresh comments:

Erica Orloff said...

I go away with my best girlfriend. We go to the beach or museums or do something for a whole weekend, and I remind myself of the power of female friendships and sisterhood. I come back "over" the jerk.
E

TinaFerraro said...

Wonderful, Erica! Yes, nothing beats the power of sisterhood! Thanks.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I bet this would have helped me with my bummer moments as a kid. haha! I also went and hung out with my friends, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
When the boy of my dreams, the love of my life, the one person that I couldn't function without dumped me..I went to Israel. But I don't recommend that as a solution. It's much healthier to recognize why I thought I "needed" him to feel happy and complete and move on from there.
Janie

TinaFerraro said...

Kelly, yeah, for me, sometimes it was simply about having something else to focus on. And so Janie, like you said, while facing it head-on is probably better than a geographical cure, I think the bottom line is what works for YOU. Thanks for weighing in!

Wendy Toliver said...

I think it's important to do something to reinstate or build your self-confidence. It's kind of that "I'll show him what he's missing" type of mentality. :)