Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Pre-School Programming: It's Not Just For Kiddies Anymore!

We all have moments when we long for simpler times, especially during times of stress. In fact, a recent stress survey revealed that a surprising number of adults secretly record pre-school programming to play after a killer day at work. (A big purple dinosaur, anyone?)

And its not unheard of for teens to pull Care Bears and Power Rangers VHS tapes out from the back of the closet to play and laugh at them right before finals or going off to college...

The pre-school show that jumped out at me as fresh and interesting was Sesame Street.


To this day, if I'm skimming channels and come upon it, I'll watch a few minutes to see what they're up to now. Big Bird is second only in my heart to Elmo! So it's safe to say, if I ever become one of those adults who turns to pre-school programming to unwind, Sesame Street will be my show of choice!

How about you? For stress or just for fun, any pre-school programming that continues to amuse you?

16 fresh comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina,
I love the Goodnight Show, Angelina Ballerina, and the Wonder Pets. In fact, I sing the Wonder Pets theme song all the time. Now, you may be wondering why I watch all these shows. But I'll never tell.

Janie
PS What I've noticed is that while Sesame Street is still good, some of the newer shows move at a slower pace, not throwing everything at the viewer so fast and furiously.

TinaFerraro said...

I don't even know those shows you mentioned...but hey, Janie, your "secret" is safe with us! :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm still watching Spongebob. haha! But Scooby Doo has always been a fave!!

stephhale said...

Janie,
You would LOVE it at our house because Wonder Pets is HUGE around here. I don't really have a choice about the programming at this point, and most of it I ignore, but the show I will stop and watch with them is called Kipper. It's about an adorable little dog with a British accent. I just love Kipper.
Steph~

Susan Hatler said...

I love Disney movies. Does that count?

TinaFerraro said...

Kelly, I think Spongebob and Scooby Doo have turned into classics!

Steph, Kipper sound cute...

Susan, Disney movies totally count! I especially love the really old Hayley Mills movies like the original Parent Trap...

Thanks for weighing in!

Julie H said...

Sesame Street is still amazing. for me, too. My husband bought me the first season on DVD, and there are actually warnings that it's not appropriate for today's children! I figured out why when a clip about "up, down and through" took place at an abandoned construction site...

But I gotta ask-- Elmo?!

TinaFerraro said...

Julie, how interesting about the warning for today's kids. Well, yeah, times and attitudes sure have changed since that show aired! Thanks for telling us about that.

And Elmo...yeah, his little voice and baby talk? You don't find it charming? Must have something to do with me being "a cat lady," but he's sort of like the ultimate kitten to me because he's cute and furry, but can talk. I don't know, that's the best I can describe it.

Shari Green said...

I LOVE Elmo. And Grover. But probably the kids show that gets me laughing the most is Veggie Tales. How can you not love talking vegetables? (Okay, it sounds absolutely stupid, but if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean.)

Sara Hantz said...

I still love Sesame Street and the Muppets! And Scooby Doo too.

TinaFerraro said...

Shari, so glad you love Elmo, too, and yeah, talking veggies are noteworthy, too. LOL.

Hey, Sara, so glad you weighed in, as well!

Kelly McClymer said...

Tina,

This made me laugh. At first I thought that I've *never* found the purple dinosaur relaxing, even when my kids enjoyed it.

But Sesame Street -- yes, it is still easy to watch and enjoy. And I remember the guilty pleasure of cuddling with my daughter when the smurfs were on (Smurfette was my fave).

My niece is hooked on Dora the Explorer and my sister confesses to secretly enjoying it.

Kelly

Jessica Burkhart said...

I *adore* Disney classics such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast--all of those gorgeous movies. :)

TinaFerraro said...

Kelly/K...yeah, I hear you about how the sound of those programs weren't exactly "relaxing" to me every morning when my kids were little! :) But yeah, some of them definitely grow on you.

And Jessica, those Disney classics ARE terrific!

Cassie said...

Huh, now I kind of want to watch some of the old Sesame Street dvds ^_^ My mom actually worked at the Smithsonian when it was Sesame Street's 10th anversary, so she used to tell us as kids how she actually got to hold Kermit and other muppets.

I really like alot of PBS's kids shows. I've been a nanny for years, and those are usually the best ones to sit and watch with kids. Those and Dragon Tales - becuase Dragon Tales is like watching fantasy. Kind of.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Crisi! I haven't heard of Dragon Tales, so I'll have to check that one out.