Wednesday, August 08, 2007

All Night Read Club


Sadly, I wasn’t an avid reader growing up. I mentioned before that art was so much a part of my life. I’d rather have drawn a picture from my head with a pencil and paper than read the classics that didn’t really connect with me from ages 13 on.

But I recall the one summer when I moved to a new town and didn’t have any new friends before the new school year, and my aunt gave me a stack of V.C. Andrews books.

And that’s when I discovered the All Night Read.

I opened those books and was thrust into a world of dark secrets and suspense. My heart would actually ache for the characters and the horrible things they had to face.

I would go to bed with a book, intending on falling asleep soon after, when my mind would race with the story and each turn of the page. I didn’t want to--couldn’t--put the book down to rest.

Yep, I would feel my eyes droop, my mind grow fuzzy, but I would blink and shift until I could find out what happened next. Not until in the early hours of the morning, and I read the last page, would I set the book aside and finally fall asleep.

Today as an adult, I still do the All Night Reads.

Sometimes, I can’t stop myself. If the story is pulling me along, I don’t want to stop until I reach the end.

Believe me, I pay for it the next day! But a great story is worth it.

Raise your hand if you’ve joined the All Night Read Club!

15 fresh comments:

Megan said...

I did this when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. Then, I went and told my brothers about one of the deaths, my dad heard me, and made me go to bed. It was depressing.

I have been reading a lot of the Harry Potter books at night now that I'm re-reading them. They're so exciting, and I already know what's going to happen!

TinaFerraro said...

My husband will read all night long, but alas, I'm the type who can put the book down late at night...but only because it gives me something fun to look forward to...

That said, I've received e-mails from readers telling me they've stayed up late reading PROM DRESS, and it delighted me to no end!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I know about rereading your faves, Megan! I do that once a year. haha!
--
Tina, good point! I guess my impatience is showing! That's so cool about Prom Dress. Woo-hoo!!

Shari Green said...

I'm definitely a member! Most recent all-night-read was HP7. I was camping, and actually read the last several chapters in my tent with a flashlight cuz I couldn't wait 'til morning. :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Shari, camping and reading with a flash light sounds like a good time to me! :) :)

Jessica Burkhart said...

When I was a kid, I think my parents spent more money on batteries for my book lights than anything, LOL. Anytime we went on one of our frequent trips, I took my light and read all night long while they drove. :)

Erica Orloff said...

Definitely an all-night read club member. My most recent was Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It's a monster 700+ science book, so I didn't read it ALL in one night, but the first night I cracked it open, I read nearly all night. Loved it!!
E

Sara Hantz said...

I can go til about 2 but after that I force myself to put it down, especially as with the motel I have t get up at 5.45!!!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Jessica, great! You know what's funny? I can't read while in a car, I start to get car sick. hehe!
---
Erica, I think the longest book I read was a little over 600 pages--I can't imagine 700+ Wow!
--
Sara, I don't blame you for putting the book down when you have to get up 3 hours later!

Anonymous said...

It's okay I do that all the time. I'm actually quite terrible really. I'll read one book, then often go into another. I always do that with Harry Potter. One night I'll read one and two, then three and half of four, and so on and so forth.

Gotta love staying up til four, then waking up at seven!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

haha, Annmarie! Yes, having to handle a day with a few hours sleep is defiinitely an experience! :) ;)

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am jumping up and down on the bed, both hands waving frantically in the air. Just the other day, I was up til 230am reading. I am--and will always be--a member of the All Night Reads Club. LOL.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

haha, thanks, Celise!!

Authorness said...

Hi, Kelly!

When I was about 13 I read The Amityville Horror in one night, partly because I couldn't possibly go to sleep with all that horror in my head. That book haunted me for years! Flowers in the Attic was another one I stayed up till dawn to finish during high school.