Friday, August 31, 2007

Postcard from Arizona

Sometimes good things happen...and you just have to go with them, celebrate them, and tell yourself you deserve them.

On that note, allow me to post the postcard that New York Times Bestseller (giant and genius, author of Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse) Stephenie Meyer handed out at her mega-book signing on September 18th at Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe, Arizona.


(You might be able to enlarge it by clicking on it; otherwise, zero in on the pink book cover in the center.) And yes--your eyes do not deceive you. Among the books that Stephenie Meyer recommends for her readers is mine, Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress.

OMIGOD, huh???

I do not know Stephenie, and until about three weeks ago, had no idea she'd even heard of my book. But the Children's Bookseller of the store, Faith Hochhalter, contacted me to say she was a fan of my book (in fact, has been hand selling it to customers, and listing it as one of their store's favorite summer teen reads) and had passed it along to Stephenie. Together, they made up the recommendation postcard.

Faith was also kind enough to invite me to lunch with her and debut author, Robin Brande (Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature, out now from Knopf) while I was in Arizona last weekend. I felt instant chemistry with them both, and there were lots of laughs.

And you can imagine my out-of-body experience as the two of them discussed my book's attributes? I wasn't just Author Tina, but all the Tina's of my lifetime, who had dreamed the dreams, set the goals, and persevered through the rejections, and finally sold the little book she hoped some people might like...

Back in the bookstore, I checked out a perfectly pink top shelf Faith had arranged. I am also an interviewed First Author in the 2008 Childrens Writers & Illustrators Market, which appears just slightly to the right of that shelf. Any wonder I had to be a geek and take a picture?


And now I'm home and reading--and loving--Robin's Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature, so next lunch between the three of us (which I hope is soon), it's going to be Faith and me expounding on the captivating and memorable aspects of Robin's book. Oh, and safe to say there'll be a compliment or two about Stephenie Meyer, and her books, as well!

13 fresh comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina,
So well put! And well deserved. What a thrill to see your book on Stephanie's postcard. Your post actually gave me chills.

Janie
PS Your "liitle pink book" has a BIG on emotional impact

stephhale said...

Tina,
I'm with Janie on the "chills". One of my favorite things in life is when wonderful things happen to wonderful people. I am SO happy for you. This gesture also speaks volumes about Stephenie's character that she wants to help other YA authors succeed. You both deserve every bestseller list you hit! :)
xo,
Steph~
ps-I've gotta get to that bookstore. Faith sounds like she's the bomb! :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

This is like beyond cool, Tina!! You and Prom Dress rock!! But then, I've always thought so... :) :)

Robin Brande said...

Aww, Tina, mutual, mutual.

I agree with Stephhale about what this says about Stephenie Meyer's generosity to fellow authors. Let us all follow her example!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks Janie and Steph for the "chills". I think I went all the way to tears!

Kelly, thanks again for always being my cheerleader!

Steph, really good point about how nice and generous Stephenie Meyer is to have recommended the books of other authors.

Robin, I loved having you drop by (don't be a stranger now), and yes, let's all take a page from Stephenie's "book" and pay forward her kindess.

Erin said...

Tina! Just....EEEK! That is so so cool for you. :)

Jessica Burkhart said...

OMG, Tina!! Wow! I was so, so excited when I saw that! Yay!

Shari Green said...

SWEET!!!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Erin, Jessica & Shari!

Authorness said...

Wow! That's HUGE, Tina!

:) Vanessa

Lisa Asanuma said...

I still get a teensy bit of a vicarious thrill when I see Prom Dresses on the shelves, how awesome that it was recommended by someone so high-profile! =)

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Vanessa!

And Lisa, what a great thing to say! I hope you keep getting that vicarious thrill (and I hope you keep seeing it on shelves)...

Tina

Sara Hantz said...

WOW, Tina!!! How cool is that.