Friday, July 06, 2007

What's Fresh with Stephanie Hale's Revenge of The Homecoming Queen

All that matters is what's inside...as long as there's a tiara on the outside.

The flawless Aspen Brooks was born to be Homecoming Queen. Naturally she's dating the most popular guy in school, and she's blessed with stunning good looks, excellent style, and mega brains. She's got the crown in the bag.

So why is the tiara being placed on the skanky head of cheerleader Angel Ives? The confusion only grows after ultra-dork Rand Bachrach is crowned king. To Aspen's shock and horror, Angel actually accuses her of being behind this. Whatevs!

But then something goes terribly, terribly wrong. Strange things start happening—even stranger than Angel beating Aspen. Now someone's leaving her threatening messages and slashing her tires. She's sure it's that beyotch Angel doing these things. And if Angel wants war, by Dooney & Bourke she'll get one.

Hello, Stephanie! Thanks for agreeing to chat with YA Fresh. Could you please tell us a little about your writing background and how you sold your debut novel, Revenge of the Homecoming Queen?

Stephanie: I started writing about four years ago. I've always loved to read but never could think of an idea for a book that I thought was original. I think there was something about having my first son that really kickstarted the ideas or maybe it was just that I was only working part-time and had more time to think about writing. Revenge of the Homecoming Queen which is being published by Berkley Jam was the third book I wrote. My first book was adult chick lit and the second was YA, actually probably more middle grade now that I think about it. I had gotten positive rejections in the past but once I started querying with Revenge it was different. Everybody was biting. After making some suggested revisions, I landed my dream agent, Jenny Bent. Once Jenny started submitting it only took about five days to sell!

Readers and writers often like to get a behind the scenes peek of an author's writing routine. It would be great if you could please share your typical writing day schedule.

Stephanie: I don't really have a typical day. My first job is a stay at home mom of two toddlers so my writing time is anytime they are napping or after they go to bed. It requires some discipline somedays when I'd much rather be flipping through my TIVO list at ten o'clock at night! :)

Please tell us about Revenge of the Homecoming Queen and what we can expect from your characters.

Stephanie: Revenge of the Homecoming Queen from Berkley Jam is being released July 3. My main character Aspen Brooks is very high maintainence. People will probably either love her or hate her. She's smart, sassy, beautiful, and she knows it. But her perfect little life is about to get a wake up call!

Sounds like a fun read! What's up next? Do you have another project in the works? If so, please tell us about it.

Stephanie: My sequel, Twisted Sisters, will be released April 1st. Aspen goes off to college and gets herself mixed up with some odd sorority sisters!

Thank you again for sharing with us, Stephanie. I wish you the best with your debut! Would you like to close with a writing tip?

Stephanie: If you REALLY want to be a writer, don't give up!

Stephanie Hale lives in Illinois with a house full of males (even the dog), which causes her to buy things that are pink even if she doesn't need them. Her favorite food is pizza with pepperoni and extra cheese. She hates coffee and can't live without Coke. If you want to know anything else about her, please visit, www.stephaniehale.com.

6 fresh comments:

Jessica Burkhart said...

Yay, Steph! :) I absolutely can't wait to read it!! Woo hoo!

TinaFerraro said...

Woo-hoo for Stephanie Hale and REVENGE OF THE HOMECOMING QUEEN! Can't wait 'til July 11 when she's going to sign a copy for me at the RWA Literacy Signing!

stephhale said...

Thanks so much for having me, Kelly! :)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Jessica and Tina, it's going to be a great read!
--
Steph, you are very welcome!

Melissa said...

Great interview, great book!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Thanks, I still need to read Revenge too!