Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Was My Face Red!

When I was a teenager, YM magazine had this column called, “Was My Face Red!” where they posted embarrassing moments sent in by their readers.


I don’t know if YM still has that column, but I certainly know what happened to me the other day would qualify. Allow me to further embarrass myself by recounting it here?

I had decided to go shopping for a new outfit since soon I am off to New York to meet with my fabulous editor and the wonderful staff at Random House.

A lovely saleswoman helped me, and eventually sold me on slate blue top and slacks, topped with a light jacket, and adorned with a matching belt and bracelet, and slender necklace. Excited, I went to the dressing room to change back into my shorts and shirt, and brought the items to the register.

She rang me up. As I handed her my credit card, she said casually, “So, you decided not to go with the necklace?” I stared at her blankly, my brain reeling. Huh? No! I totally wanted the necklace. Then I realized I couldn’t remember taking it off. I touched my neck. OMG, there it was, hanging under my shirt! I gasped and pulled it out.

She arched an accusing brow at me. Which set my mouth running in self-defense... But the more I rambled, the more guilty of attempted shoplifting I sounded! Because while, yeah, I was signing my name to a pretty hefty bill, and this necklace was rather inexpensive, I was well aware that I fit the profile of the “excitement” shoplifter. Who is often a grown women whose life has lost its meaning, who shoplifts for the thrill, rather than the need.

Now, mind you, as a newly published author, my life is anything BUT dull. And I am way too honest and guilt-ridden to steal. But she didn’t know that! So I finally shut up, paid for the necklace, too, and left with as much dignity as I could muster. UGH!

So how about you? Have an embarrassing moment to share? Come on, misery loves company! Make me feel better!

5 fresh comments:

Megan said...

It's not really embarrassing, per say, but it relates to your story.

I was at an amusement park. I ordered a salad and some pita bread. They handed it to me, and I was supposed to go to the cashier. I forgot. I honestly wasn't trying to steal. I took the food and walked away. They didn't notice, but I did when I was halfway to the table. I turned around right away and gave them my money, but I seriously think I could've gotten away with it. I would've been guilt-ridden forever.

Hmm...embarrassing moments?

My one class has these really puny, pathetic, tiny desks. I dropped one of my papers and leaned over to get it. I, along with my desk, toppled over in front of a really cute guy!

Also, I was in a school play once, and I was a queen. My son, the prince, was supposed to sit in my lap, but he ended up jumping into my lap. We both fell over in front of the entire audience and broke the throne.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I used to read YM too, Tina!!

Hmm, my latest embarrassing moment was misspelling "neighbor" as I signed a friend's book at my first signing. *head slap* The event was fast and my nerves were rattled, so half the time I was trying to write something interesting and unique and my mind would go blank at odd moments while writing and trying to talk to someone else at the same time. *sigh*

I signed another book and gave them another copy because I was so embarrassed--they hadn't even noticed my error! haha. ;)

TinaFerraro said...

Megan, thank you for your embarrassing stories. They DO make me feel better! (Especially the desk falling over...hope you were wearing pants!) :)

Kelly, come to think of it, I've had my share of mishaps while signing, too. I've spelled someone's name wrong (and had to cross it out with a little "oops") and had one person ask me if my hand was tired because my writing was so bad. LOL.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
Some of my most embarrassing moments are too X rated for this post. But I did go to work once with my pants on backwards and it was pointed out to me by one of the CPA's that I worked for.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks for jumping in, Janie! And your pants story reminds me of wearing a shirt backwards in 9th grade, and having a "cool" girl pass me up a note that the pocket was on the back. Worse--I ran into her many years later, and she asked if I remembered! I did, but had been hoping she didn't!