Friday, December 14, 2007

Fresh from the oven...


When I lived on the east coast, December was not only holiday season, it was baking season. Entire families got together to make wide assortments of holiday cookies, to be presented in gift platters and tins to friends and family, served at parties and following meals--and left for Santa.

My family never much went in for this, however, and I admit, as an adult, I’ve let holiday baking slide almost completely from my life. But I have great admiration for those who collect and swap recipes, who shop for the best ingredients, and spend hours creating the perfect cookies. And I’m thrilled when I’m a platter recipient.

Tell us, do you come from a family that considers baking an important part of the holiday season? And if so, do you have a favorite cookie?

6 fresh comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

When I was younger, baking was the thing in the family, cakes, cookies, pies... My aunt made these light as a feather sugar cookies with frosting. Yum!

stephhale said...

I really like to bake. My favorites, which I just made a few days ago, are Peanut Butter Blossoms. They are like peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's kiss plopped in the middle. Yummmmmm...

TinaFerraro said...

Yum to both those cookies. And I've made my share of PB Blossoms myself, especially back in the day when I attended holiday office parties.

Erica Orloff said...

Nope. Not bakers.

But my best friend is a total Cookie Goddess. And I get to eat them. :-)
E

Sara Hantz said...

I only ever do any baking over the holidays. I've just done chocolate biscuit cake - which is a huge family favourite, and have put it in a tin, taped it up and then put the tin in the freezer - so no one can get to it (actually I mean me.... what my children and dh don't realise is that you can eat it from the freezer once you've given it a 10 second zap in the microwave)

TinaFerraro said...

Erica, yeah, I know you and I are the reluctant cooks whose husbands pick up the slack!

Sara, that chocolate biscuit cake sounds delish!