Friday, August 14, 2009

Fun with the Children's Book Writers!

Every year, the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators holds their summer conference at the Hyatt Regency in Century City, and for the third time in five years, I was lucky enough to attend.

It was an amazing conference, with highlights including a mind-boggling speeches by
Sherman Alexie and
Richard Peck
, listening to Frank Portman sing his classic, “Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend” in a break-out session, and the Blue Moon Party out by the pool where we danced the night away...

Here are a couple workshop photos:

Simon & Shuster editor Anica Rissi and my Random House editor, Krista Marino, in their informative session, “Two Editors Look at the Teen Movement.” (Their conclusion being that while there’s always a market for quality material, fantasy-edged stories are what teens are currently reaching for.)


And take note that Krista is holding Rosemary Clement-Moore’s September ’09 release, The Splendor Falls, which by all accounts is going to FLY off of shelves.

And Holly Black, giving a session on critique partners, in which I spoke up to rave about how successful and fun it is for me to work with Kelly:


Now, moving on to the Blue Moon Party, here’s a link to a wave hello video from a group of Los Angeles Young Adult Authors meeting up beforehand. Look hard and you might see...Michael Reisman, Cherry Cheva, me, Marlene Perez, Dan Yaccarino, Lisa Yee, Ben Esch, Betty Birney, Paddy Lock, Debra Garfinkel, Paula Yoo...and others!

Here’s our YA FRESH friend, Cindy Pon, dressed as a video game character (and she told me the name, but it must have danced out of my brain because I can no longer remember):


And here I am with debut author (and fabulous Facebook Scrabble player) Christy Raedeke whose Flux books release in 2010 and 2011.


And last but not least, this is author Sydney Salter , me, Jon Fine, Director of Author & Public Relations of Amazon.com (who enthralled me with information of what I can do to improve my rankings!), and YA Fresh friends, Janie Emaus and Paddy Lock.


A great time was had by all...but someone please explain to me why I came home with jet-lag even though I only traveled about 45 minutes by car?

7 fresh comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Love the pics, Tina! Thanks for sharing! It looks like a fab time!

TinaFerraro said...

It was, Kelly!

Sorry about some of the spacing on the blog entry, everyone, but some of the links were hard to input.

Janie Emaus said...

Hi,
When you get that answer to the jet lag question, let me know...I had it too! Maybe it was the result of too much fun.

Christy Raedeke said...

Wow, I made it on to YA Fresh! I look a tad insane--you captured the real me!

Great to meet you in person, finally.

TinaFerraro said...

Christy, I look a tad insane in all my pictures...and I hesitate to think what THAT might mean. ;) Fun meeting you, too!

Sydney Salter said...

Always so fun to see you!

Paddy said...

These look great. Every year it just gets better and better! Thanks, Tina.