Monday, June 29, 2009

When Tastes Change...

I think one of the great mysteries of life involve our taste buds and why some taste like heaven to some of us...and made others gag.

Culture and exposure effects some of our reactions, but it’s common to see kids with the exact same upbringing have distinctly different preferences, too.

But even more interesting to me is when a person’s own taste changes. And I don’t just mean during pregnancy, when lots of us develop picky habits, or following bout of food poisoning or onset of the flu.

I mean for no apparent reason...

Like I hated zucchini as a kid. But during the course of my marriage, have learned to enjoy it so much that I make it as rice dish, soup, stuffed, broiled, boiled, fried...you name it.


And then there’s mangoes. While I never disliked them, I could take the or leave them. Until recently, when I have fallen in love.

And rice pudding! The mere idea made me gag in my younger years. Now it’s a favorite desert!



Oh, and the chip thing. I never much liked Fritos. Bor-ing. All of a sudden, I am not only eating them by the handfuls, but started making French onion dip and buying the dipping size called Scoops.

I mean, sometimes I wonder...who am I and what happened to Tina???

So I thought I’d throw this out to our readers...is there a food or flavor that has made a change in your life, for better or worse? And if so, any reason why?

14 fresh comments:

Janie Emaus said...

I've pretty much liked all foods since I was little (not that I eat that much, as you know!) but I remember waking up one morning and wanting cream in my coffee instead of drinking it black. And I also remember thinking - hmmm, that's strange. At least I still wanted to drink it with my husband and didn't want to change that part of my life, too!

Leigh Purtill said...

For me, it's been texture changes. I used to love peaches and avocados but now, their strange textures weird me out! The fuzzy peach skin, the slippery avocado...sorry, folks, but ew!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Love rice pudding--make it all the time! Um, let's see...I've grown to enjoy zucchini, but some things stay the same. I will never like mushrooms or brussels sprouts! haha!

TinaFerraro said...

Interesting, Janie, about suddenly wanting cream in your coffee. I used to be cream AND sugar, and then one day dropped the sugar. Not for health reasons...just didn't want it.

Leigh, yes, I totally GET the texture thing...in fact, the desire for creamy stuff may explain my coffee and pudding festishs!

And no mushrooms for you, huh, Kelly? I'll remember that if/when I cook for you. But no prob with brussel sprouts, we only eat them once a year or so to appease my husband.

Jennifer Rummel said...

mustard - I hated it, but now love it, esp with jalapenos
I'm sure there are others, but this is the biggest I can think of - plus I'm a wicked picky eater.

Meredith said...

When I was really little, I would eat string cheese (according to my mom). And then when I was around 10 until I turned 20, I didn't want to touch the stuff. I couldn't stand the thought of cheese in stick form. Now, I love it, because I like mozzarella cheese, it is cheap, and an easy snack to grab. It's also great for shredding up to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

~Meredith

TinaFerraro said...

Yabooknerd, I've been warming on mustard lately, too, come to think of it. I never hated it and I still don't love it, but the needle's moved more mainstream!

And string cheese...Meredith, I think it's possible that moms like me pushed it too hard on our kids because it was easy and "good for them." And they got tired of it. But yeah, it's great stuff...I mean, what would pizza be without mozzarella???

Hillary said...

Zucchini bread and rice pudding are some of my favorite foods! :)

When I was younger I ate cheese. And now I HATE the flavor. It's disgusting. And I hate rice too. (Except for pudding!)

Anonymous said...

I hated eggs as a kid and actullay got very sick and broke out enough to the point where my mom thought I was allergic. After having my daughter, I L-O-V-E them especial with cheese or bacon or ham or just about anything!!!!! eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs!!!!!!!!!!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Hillary and Anonymous. Sometimes you just can't explain this stuff, huh?

freewriter said...

As a kid I HATED sweet potatoes. I wouldn't even try them for the holidays no matter how they were made. Then one holiday about 5 years ago I ate a sweet potato casserole without knowing what it was and fell in love with sweet potatoes. Now I prefer to have a baked sweet potato over a regular baked potato. It is funny how we change.

TinaFerraro said...

Freewriter--I am there with you on sweet potatoes! Went from hate to love on them, too! Thanks for weighing in!

Alyssa Kirk said...

I was always sort of a freak because as a child I liked spinach. Well, not liked it but didn't mind it. Also, when I got older I started not liking doughnut holes. I still like doughnuts just not the holes. I don't get it either.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.