Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Three Times a Charm!

The only thing I like better than a great book is a great series. Because like with all luscious things, you just want more and more...

On that note, the lovely and talented Stephanie Hale celebrated the release of her third book in her Aspen Brooks’ series this month, Spring Breakup.

Steph is a friend, and has been a guest here at YA Fresh in the past, but personal and professional ties aside, I am one of her biggest fans.

Allow me to gush. Her three books,
Revenge of the Homecoming Queen,
Twisted Sisters and Spring Breakup are quirky and original young adult novels, featuring a heroine, Aspen Brooks, who is initially described as being “born to be Homecoming Queen.” The blurb goes on to say, “Naturally she's dating the most popular guy in school, and she's blessed with stunning good looks, excellent style, and mega brains. She's got the crown in the bag.”

In Stephanie Hale’s capable hands, Aspen quickly goes from “the girl you love to hate” to “the girl you love to read.” Because when things start to go wrong in her life (and boy, do they!), Aspen uses her sashay and her resources to not only save the day, but to better her own life and the lives of those around her.

Plus, I always feel just a little bit cooler after I’ve hung out with Aspen.

All three books have the added perk of being mysteries, with some characters who disappear and others who are not what they seem. Each time I was surprised by and impressed with the resolution.

I’m sorry that this terrific series has to come to an end (for the time being, at least), but look forward to reading what Stephanie Hale has for us next, The Alpha Bet from Flux Books, April 2010, featuring a 16 year-old college freshman and the 26 alphabetical tasks she must perform in order to become a full-fledged sorority sister (while keeping a secret and her helicopter mother off campus). Undoubtedly another great read from Steph Hale!

8 fresh comments:

Leigh Purtill said...

Those books sound so cute! I'll have to check them out. :)

Jennifer Rummel said...

I was sad to hear that Spring Breakup ended the series too, but I'm looking forward to the Alpha Bet. It sounds great!

Liyana said...

Loving the plot of Alpha Bet. <3

TinaFerraro said...

Yeahm doesn't the Alpha Bet sound adorable???

stephhale said...

Ah, Tina. I'm blushing! Aspen is definitely an original and she will be missed. It makes me so happy when someone tells me that they enjoyed my books, especially when that "someone" is a great friend! Thanks so much!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Congrats on an awesome series, Steph!! I love the plot for The Alpha Bet too!! *hugs*

Janie Emaus said...

Hi,
I'm looking forward to Steph's new book. I love the plot.

Shalonda said...

The Alpha Bet sounds so cute! Can't wait to read it!