Friday, June 06, 2008

Friday Fresh: One More Time!

I got the nicest compliment this week. A young woman who had interviewed me for a newspaper told me that her sister liked my books so much she was reading them a second time...

It reminded me how, back when I was a teenager, I used to re-read favorites, sometimes finding something new and different, sometimes just enjoying being in that familiar world again--and knowing everything would turn out fine.

How wonderful that someone feels the same about the books I’ve written!

These days, my read time is precious and short. When I do read, I am often catching up on friends’ releases or reviewing here for YA FRESH. I usually have 40 or 50 other books in my To Be Read Pile.

But earlier this year, I found and re-read a book I loved as a teenager, MR. AND MRS. BO JO JONES, about two teens “forced” to drop out of high school and marry before their baby was born. It held up amazingly well in my eyes, even though the attitudes were pretty dated, and I was now viewing it as an adult, rather than a teen.


How about you? Have you had the chance to re-read a favorite book lately? Or wish you could? Share it with us!

10 fresh comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I had! I've been meaning to re-read the Chronicles of Faerie series by O.R. Melling for months - they're probably my favourite books of all time, with the exception of Harry Potter. :)

Hillary said...

I've been wanting to reread Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech. I used to love that book when I was in elementary school. I'd also like to reread Twilight but I don't really have the time. My to read pile is way too big right now to be doing that.

Cara King said...

I recently re-read the President's Daughter series by Ellen Emerson White (fantastic author, fantastic series) because she finally released a fourth book in the series. Great, as always!

The problem that sometimes hits me when rereading books I loved is that they've changed... I may remember in great detail exactly what the characters did and said in a scene, only to find it's different! How did that happen??? I think it's little book gremlins who are out to drive me crazy... ;-)

Cara

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I think I'll have to reread VC Andrews's Casteel series. It was my favorite!

TinaFerraro said...

Great answers, everyone. The only thing better than reading a good book is reading it again, huh?

Anonymous said...

I love Eva Ibbottson's children's books. All of them.

The Golfing Librarian said...

There is no better book than "A River Runs Through It" by Norman Maclean. It can be read a hundred times for the first time.

(Present company excluded, of course!)

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yes, Eva Ibbottson's books are classics--thanks.

And Chuck, I have never read A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT. I'm going to have to get on that for the first time, huh?

The Golfing Librarian said...

Tina,
Hopefully you haven't seen the Robert Redford directed movie already, but since Brad Pitt was the star, you probably have. My advice is to always read the book before you see the movie.

Chuck

TinaFerraro said...

Yes, Chuck, I saw it years ago...but I hardly remember it (well, the story, Brad still shines brightly) so it'll be like a new read.