Thursday, July 07, 2011

Disneyland Cats!

Many of our readers know that I'm a cat lady. I have two at the moment, know most of the cats in my neighborhood, have taken responsibility for strays, and I'm the go-to lady for vacation cat sitting.

So all that said, when I recently heard a story about 400 stray cats living at Disneyland, I was astonished! I make my home in southern California, and have been to Disneyland countless times and never seen a cat there. So I set out to find out if it was true!


First I did an internet search, and was surprised to find the same basic information over and over. Although sources differ about exactly how and why the cats arrived, most agreed that for about 50 years, they have roamed the Magic Kingdom for rodent/mice control. Some say Disney does the care and feeding, and that they keep them into the back areas where they are rarely seen. Some day they are looked after by caring employees and roam freely.

Huh! And that's when I remembered that I have an expert, a key witness, right in my family! Until recently, my cousin, Megan, was a Disneyland employee. So I sent her a message ("Do cats at Disneyland really exist?") and she responded with a big YES. She added:

“When I worked at Disneyland there were always feral cats roaming around backstage. I once heard a story that someone started dropping off the cats at Disneyland and they multiplied. I also heard that they used to be a part of Circle D, the Disney animal farm backstage where they house all the animals for the park, and they got loose and they couldn't control them. Either way, there are many cats who have established Disneyland as their home.

In Fantasyland, there was one particular cat who called the Small World break room his home. We named him Tigger. He was an orange and white tabby cat who always just wanted to be loved and petted."

In fact, here she is, holding Tigger:


She went on to share that there was a black cat that made Storybook Land his home. “We all called him Figgero like the cat from Pinocchio. He would roam through Cinderella's castle and it was quite funny when we would walk through the castle while the boat was going by and all the guests would say, ‘Look at the giant cat in front of the castle.’"

So now I know--the rumors are true! Next time I go to Disneyland, I'm keeping my eyes open for cats.

And now tell us, did you already know about this? Have you seen cats at the Happiest Place on Earth? Or is this a big surprise for you, too?

29 fresh comments:

Leigh Purtill said...

Like you, I am a huge Disney fan (just reading the title of your post made me want to go to Anaheim!) and I love knowing the backstage stuff. How cool to know a former "cast member"! No, I never saw a cat there but they keep a lot of things hidden, don't they? ;)

TinaFerraro said...

Good point, Leigh, about Disney keeping lots of things hidden at their parks--that's part of the magic, huh?

And yes, my cousin worked there for several years--loved it--and met her fiance there. She moved on after college graduation, but remains our "go-to girl" for all things Disney!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

That's so cool! I've never noticed because it has always been so packed at Disneyland when we've visited. Maybe the cats hide during the day!

Janie Emaus said...

I never knew about these cats. But what a nice place for them to live.

Sydney said...

I did know about this!! My family used to have season passes and we went all the time. The first time my brother and I saw a cat, we were both like "What??" You don't see them a lot, but I have seen the occasional one roaming around. Yay for Disney cats!

Now I want to go to Disneyland.

Leigh Purtill said...

You and me both, Sydney! I haven't been in years and only live 45 mins away!! I could use a cooling ride on Splash Mountain right about now...

donnas said...

I had no idea. But Im glad its true.

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Gasp!!! I did not know this, and I've been to Disneyland umpteen timies! What a great story. I will have to see for myself during the RWA conference next year. :)

TinaFerraro said...

Kelly, I think the cats DO stay away from the crowds, yeah. Sounds like Sydney got lucky!

Vanessa, we should get a gang together for a Disneyland trip before or after the Romance Writers of America conference in Anaheim! So fun!

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Yay! Count me in for cat-spotting and multiple visits to the Indiana Jones ride!

Kandy Shepherd said...

Next time I go to Disneyland I'll be cat-spotting. Glad to hear that the kitties there are cared for, it would be unbearable if there were miserable animals living in such a feel-good place! Thanks Tina for such a fascinating post.

TinaFerraro said...

Kandy, we're signing you up for that RWA/Disneyland/cat-spotting adventure, too! =)

Kevin said...

I have seen cats at Disneyland! It's so strange. Last year around August, my 5 year old cat Jack Sparrow passed away and I was devastated. A week or so later, my partner and I went to Disneyland. we decided to Take a trip on the Mark Twain around the Rivers of America. While on our tour around the river, we began to turn the bend by splash mountain from the corner of my eye I see a cat, that looks just like my cat Jack, perched on the edge of wall near the Hungry Bear Restaurant. I pointed out the cat to my partner, and he was speechless. We could not believe how much this cat looked like Jack. So to this day I believe Jack is at Disneyland!

Mike K said...

I first learned about the cats from this L.A. Times Article last year:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cover-disney-20100502,0,1663634.story

Tours Departing Daily said...

Every time we stay really late at Disneyland (usually past 1am) to take pictures, a few of these cats start making there way out! It's like they know the guests are leaving the park. :D Oh to be a Disneyland Cat and frolic the park at night! Must be nice! :D

msntnkrbll said...

I've seen cats at Disneyland many times, I've known about them for a while...I'm a huge fan of the Park...BTW, the cat from Pincchio is "Figaro", not "Figgero". It's not surprising most guests don't see the cats, it's the nature of the beasties to lay low when there are people in their park, then after hours they roam about when they know all the people around. I just LOVE Disneyland!

TinaFerraro said...

Kevin, that's such a touching story, and all the more reason to love the Disney cats! Thanks so much.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks for that link, Mike K. People have mentioned it to me but now I can check it for out.

TinaFerraro said...

Tours Departing Daily--you got that right! To be a Disneyland cat and play there after hours, huh?

TinaFerraro said...

msntrkrbll--I appreciate you pointing out the spelling error! Usually I check these things, but that one went under the wire. And yes, I suppose there are hundreds of glowing eyes watching us from dark corners as we parade around the park, huh? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yes;My wife and I see lots of kitties @ the park,DCA also,and hotels,roaming usually late,after park closes.There is one sitting in back at the Hungry Bear,that even lets you pet it.Most are really wild and will run from you.We are always on the lookout for them!Ken Anderson

Anonymous said...

I saw one at the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country one year. Really cool. Kids were all trying to get close to it. The cat must have known we were cat people because it stayed near our table.

Anonymous said...

My wife works there. Disney as a corporation is indifferent to the cats. They don't feed them or care for them, nor do they poison them or trap them. They just let them be. Some of the "cast members" (employees) will feed them occasionally, just as people will feed the ducks in a city park. But the life of a feral cat generally is one of suffering. Don't romanticize it. The population controls itself through starvation. The cats eat rodents and baby ducklings.

kate said...

We always go to Disneyland in September and always take a few pictures of the cats. Our favorite places to spot them are: The back side of the Hungry Bear Restaurant they have houses for them there and they often come up on the deck. By White Water snacks at The Grand Californian. I have also spotted them by GRR. Look in the tree shaded areas.

Unknown said...

While eating Ice Cream at California Adventure, my kids and I watched a very large sleeping cat, it was on the tracks near the Ice Cream shop.

Wadamonster said...

I have seen alot of cats at Disneyland. If you go to the little out cove in front of where the Columbia ship is docked you will see 2 sleeping around there. There are 2 other ones on the upper deck of the Hungry Bear Restaurant.

I have seen 2 more in DCA. Matter of fact we feed them cat food everytime we go there. I don't know what the cats names are but we named the one in DCA "Maggie". We have plenty of photos of her if you would like to see.

Michael
shorelinestudios@live.com

Angey said...

I have a pic of a cat stomping around Storybookland. I've also seen one sitting on a doorstep in Fantasyland.

Ashley said...

My sister worked at Disneyland too, here is Tigger on her lap http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.153179308048627.30302.100000696756334#!/photo.php?fbid=154495261250365&set=a.153179308048627.30302.100000696756334&type=1&theater and here is Tiggers Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001228507079

TinaFerraro said...

Ashley, what a hoot about Tigger having his own page! Thanks for that!