Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pssst...Do I Have a Book For You!


When I was first learning about how to promote my books, I was told that arguably the best method for big sales was the one you had least control over: word of mouth. A friend, relative, bookseller or librarian making a heartfelt pitch to a reader, and who ends up loves the book so much that she in turns passes that recommendation on...and so on...

Since I love talking about books almost as much as reading and writing them, this didn't come as a huge surprise. Nevertheless, I was startled recently when I glanced at my book list (and yes, I keep a list of all the books I've read!) and realized that many of my favorites had come through recommendations.

How about you? Do you find favorites by word of mouth? And do you pass the news with friends and family when you've read a really good book, too? Share it with us...we won't tell. (Actually, yeah, we will!)

15 fresh comments:

Erin said...

I found hunger games by word of mouth. When my non-reader of a cousin recommended it, I knew I had to get my hands on it!

Most of the books in my tbr pile come from book blogger recommendations!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Many of the books I've read have been through word of mouth or internet buzz!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Erin and Kelly! And I wanted to add that I also think it's an important to find a reviewer or blogger who shares your taste in books. This has worked for me big time!

Laurena said...

I either hear about books from friends, or on a blog or somewhere, and then go to read them, or I just pick a book at random from the shelves. Then, I usually try and force my little brother into reading them if I think he'll like it. He usually does! I'm slowly but surely making a reader out of him. :)

TinaFerraro said...

Good for you, Laurena! I've seen my daughter pass books along to her younger brother, too, and I love it!

Anonymous said...

Probably about half of the books I read were recommended to me, either by co-workers, teen library patrons, or friends. I especially love recommendations from people who have different literary tastes than my own. Variety is the spice of life! Of course, I love passing all of this info on to everyone I meet too; the good, the bad and the ugly. I just love talking about books in general... :)

Unknown said...

Lately, I am finding that I am finding more books by word of blog, which I guess counts as word of mouth. Maybe? Almost? More often, though, I usually pick books at random on the bookstore shelves. Also, if you order off of certain websites, a list of recommendations come up based on the author or genre and I usually put those on my "Wish List" to buy later.

Unknown said...

And obviously I like the word "finding" in my comments. :) That's what I get for not editing . . .

TinaFerraro said...

Haha, Maria...and hey, truth be told, I edited this post twice this morning for my own repetitive word usage! And great suggestion there on making a Wish List!

Sydney said...

A lot of books I read come from a book blog I follow and occasionally passed on from a family member or friend. (I honestly think it's a game between my family members to see who can recommend a book I haven't yet read.) Otherwise, I love to roam the bookstores and find the most obscure books that I can. If I love them, I definitely pass the word on. Best way to spread the reading love.

TinaFerraro said...

Sydney, by no small coincidence the book I am reading right now was a recommendation of yours from your Facebook page!

Jennifer Rummel said...

I get a lot of my recs through other book bloggers and friends - a lot from librarian friends. And I talk about books all the time - to anyone, anywhere.

TinaFerraro said...

YAbooknerd said: "And I talk about books all the time - to anyone, anywhere."

And that's why we're so glad you visit us here, often! =)

LinWash said...

I'm definitely a word of mouth person. If I find a book I love, I tell everyone about it. But I also appreciate hearing about good books from bloggers. I guess that's why I have so many blogs bookmarked!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Lin! And about all the bookmarked book blogs--yeah, me, too!