Monday, November 22, 2010

Midnight Movie Madness

I have been hearing about people going to the midnight debut showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows last week, and how much fun they had.


Making me realize I've never been to one of those fan-tastic midnight movie events, and considering I tend to wake and fall asleep early, it is possible that I never will.

So I thought I'd turn to our YA Fresh readers for the deets. Have you ever been to a midnight theater premiere of a long-anticipated movie? If so, which one, and how did you like it? And if not, do you plan to give one a try?

11 fresh comments:

Janie Emaus said...

I've never been to one either. But it does sound like fun.

Unknown said...

I've never been and doubt I ever will.

Rachel Y. said...

I've been to the midnight premieres of the last 3 Harry Potter movies as well as Twilight.

I loved all three showings of HP.
My midnight experience for Twilight was awful. I was the one who bought everyone their tickets & I somehow ended up getting into the wrong theater - so I saw the movie alone - none of my now ex-friends were kind enough to even consider switching tickets with someone so I'd have at least someone to be with. Thank God I live in the South & the girls in front of me in line were unendingly sweet & kind to me - & were even kind enough to watch a movie with a then Junior in High School; these girls were college aged. I never saw them again but I still remember them because of just how kind they were.

Needless to say - I think that experience alone is the reason why I still abhor/hate/etc. Twilight.

TinaFerraro said...

Rachel, I am so sorry about your Twilight experience...but I love how those college girls stepped up for you (yay!) and that you loved all three Harry Potter premieres!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I haven't, but I know many fans who love the midnight showings!

Jennifer Rummel said...

I LOVE going - I've been to see LORT, Harry Potter, and Twilight movies. Everyone's so happy to see the movie and it's just amazing.

brendajean said...

I've been to several. Twilight and Harry Potter have been my faves. It's exciting to be a part of an audience full of nuts that are as excited for a new movie as you are. It's the whole experience that's so much fun!!!!

Rachel Y. said...

@Tina :: College-aged people are so kind. I'm a college kid myself now (being 21 is awesome) & all my friends are all so awesome. I remember my Freshmen year at University - I was trying to walk up a very steep, seemingly almost vertical hill in the ice/snow with my final presentation for my final grade in communications in tow. Some girls who I didn't know pulled up next to me & asked if I wanted a ride. Obvious to say, I was extremely grateful & said yes.

Now me & my brother run a 'fee-free' cab so to speak on the weekends for our fellow college aged kids who need rides around town but either don't have a car or are a little to 'out of it' to be driving. Pay it forward, karma, call it what you will but it's a good thing. ; D

TinaFerraro said...

YABookNerd and BrendaJean, thanks for your experiences, too. Yes, these midnight premieres sound like a terrific time!

And Rachel, thanks for filling us in a little more. And Kelly and I are ALL about Paying It Forward, too! In fact, we interviewed Catherine Ryan Hyde--the author of that awesome book--here at YA Fresh some time ago, and she still drops by for the occasional author round-up!

Rachel Y. said...

@Tina ;; That's awesome!
I love her book & I also love the movie ( Helen Hunt is one of my fav. actresses ). Also - apparently Bon Jovi is in that movie & I only realized this fact around 3 months ago. Heh.

Shari Green said...

I've never been to one. I think it would probably be fun, but I like waiting a day or two for the crowds to thin a little.