Monday, October 27, 2008

The Little Things...

Getting in shape/keeping in shape is usually associated with spring, but with the holidays coming, I think it’s as important now as ever.

Some of you may know that in the past eighteen months or so, I’ve really stepped up my exercise, and have been feeling better. In fact, I had to buy a bunch of size-smaller summer clothes--yay!


So now my focus is not so much on how to get in shape, but the little things a person can do to stay in shape. For me, that’s walking whenever possible. Leaving the car at home altogether. Going out for after-dinner strolls. Using a treadmill. And I think I’ve started annoying friends who invite me out for coffee or lunch because I say, “Sure, how about that place near the park, and we can walk afterwards?”

Here’s a few more things I aspire toward:

--Drinking lots of water (because it’s not only good for you, it fills you up).

--Parking on the far side of parking lots, forcing myself to walk the difference to the store or restaurant.

--Not eating again after dinner.

I'm not saying I accomplish them, but I try. What are some little things that you do, or try to do, to stay healthy?

6 fresh comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
One thing I've done for years now is take the stairs and not the escalator. Of course, this started with a fear of moving stairs, but now as escalated to an obsession.

Janie

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, Janie, great idea! Yes, I've tried to do that more, too...and at airports, I've been known to walk alongside the people mover.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I *try* to stay away from fast food, which is hard with a family on the go. :) :)

Good for you on the walking, Tina!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Kel. And I think you try harder than I do to stay away from fast food. I am total goner for fast food tacos...(which is why I walk)...

stephhale said...

I did really good this summer, but this is the time of year that is really hard for me. It is way too cold to walk and I start getting hungrier, like a bear going into hiberation or something. I'm really considering getting a recumbent bicycle, I've heard they can burn 500 calories every half hour.

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome goals. I wish you luck in accomplishing them.